Are you wondering how to choose a boudoir photographer? If so, this is the post for you!
Boudoir photography is growing in popularity by leaps and bounds as women of all ages, shapes, and sizes rise up in opposition to unrealistic beauty standards. Through this unique art form, women are powerfully and passionately reclaiming the strength and beauty of their bodies. They boldly declare, “I am enough, just as I am.” with every boudoir pose and portrait.
Has the idea of stepping into your confidence through boudoir photography intrigued you? Are you overwhelmed when thinking about how to choose a boudoir photographer?
At Show Your Spark, we recently asked our former clients what they looked for when choosing a boudoir photographer. Their insights were so wonderful that we decided to share them with you.
Here is what they had to say!
1. Choose a professional, trustworthy, and talented photographer with experience in the industry.
Due to the sensitive nature of boudoir photography, when choosing a boudoir photographer you will want to work with an experienced, professional, trustworthy, and talented individual.
Do your research! The best place to read authentic client reviews is through Google Maps. Search for the name of the studio you are researching to read the ratings and reviews of past customers. You can learn a lot about each photographer through these reviews.
- Did their clients receive a personalized experience?
- Are their clients happy with the results?
- Did the clients feel comfortable during the session?
- Are the clients pleased with their artwork?
These and other questions will help you evaluate if a photographer is experienced, professional, and has a happy clientele.
2. Choose a creative photographer whose artistic aesthetic matches yours.
Photography is an art form. Each photographer offers a slightly different style. When choosing a boudoir photographer, you will want to work with a photographer whose work resonates with you.
When researching, check out the photographer’s website and social media accounts.
- Do you like what you see?
- Do you like the colors and styling of the portraits?
- Does the photographer offer a variety of poses, sets, and wardrobe choices?
- Do you feel comfortable with the poses you see?
- Can you see yourself in the photos and poses?
Not every photographer will create artwork that speaks to your aesthetic and goals. Taking the time to do this research will ensure the portraits you create together will fit your personality.
3. Choose a photographer who makes you feel comfortable.
Boudoir photography is an intimate experience. You will want to work with a photographer who makes you feel 100% comfortable.
When choosing a boudoir photographer, gather as much information about the photographer as you can. Read about the photographer on their website. Follow their social media account.
- Do you resonate with the photographer’s personal story and reasons for niching in the boudoir industry?
- Do you respond to the language you see on their studio website?
- Does their website feature client stories that excite you to have our own boudoir experience?
- Do their social media accounts reflect the same values as their website?
If so, the next step is to schedule a consultation with your potential photographer or with a studio team member. During that conference, observe how the conversation makes you feel.
- Do you feel like you are being treated like an individual, or like a number and a sale?
- Does the photographer care about you, your story, and your reason behind choosing a boudoir photography experience?
- Do you feel like your voice, wishes, and dreams are heard?
- Do you feel empowered to share your styling, wardrobe, set, and posting preferences?
4. Choose a photographer who also serves as a coach.
A boudoir photography experience will most likely stretch you out of your comfort zone. For that reason, you will want to choose a boudoir photographer who serves as both coach and photographer.
Choose a photographer who walks you through every step of the process. Look for a photographer who provides support with wardrobe selections, beauty preparation, and mindset hacks to help you prepare for your session.
Notice if the photographer will also guide you in posing and artwork selection, as both of those skills might also be new for you. Check the studio’s website to see if they will support you in these areas. If the website seems unclear, have a conversation with the studio.
Be bold and ask your questions. You deserve to be heard and supported as you make this decision.
5. Choose a Boudoir Photographer Who Offers High-Quality Artwork.
Boudoir photography is often a once-in-a-lifetime experience (though it doesn’t have to be). Your portraits are sacred and should be treated as such. Therefore you want your artwork products to be of the highest quality and made by talented craftsmen, so they will stand the test of time.
When looking for boudoir photographers, inquire about the final artwork product.
- Do they offer only digital files, tangible artwork, or both?
- Where are their products made?
- What are they made of?
We encourage you to use these five tips and questions to choose a boudoir photographer perfect for you!
We believe you deserve to Show Your Spark through artwork that will serve as a reminder of your courage, a testament to your power, and a celebration of your confidence and beauty.
If our Spark Experience, artwork options, and photographer’s story resonate with you, we would love to connect!